The following recipe is the altered version.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups spelt flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 flax seed eggs
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- "ESPECIALLY DARK" CHOCOLATE FROSTING (recipe follows)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 cake pan
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add flax eggs, soy milk, melted vegan butter and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "ESPECIALLY DARK" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10 to 12 servings.
"ESPECIALLY DARK" CHOCOLATE FROSTING
1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter, Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
The cake on the other hand was not a success like I had hoped. I am guessing that since I didn't use the oil and subbed vegan margarine and I used soy milk that it didn't rise like it should. The cake tastes delicious and the frosting was amazing, So back to the drawing board....
We all know I have issues with baking cakes while being vegan, lol
I am glad to know my skills have not changed in the past year since I baked a cake.....LOL
Well if anyone would like to tweak it, and I am hoping it will be Blessed Mama, please send me the recipe and what you did!!!